Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Remembering Broccoli Head

I'm in my 23rd year of teaching, and I'm sure I've forgotten more funny moments than I remember. For all the bellyaching I do about my job, there are lots of good things about it (June, July and August not withstanding). Sometimes teachers sit around and tell funny stories.

I remember helping a first grader with his homework in the after school program. His name was Tyler Brockmeier, but I affectionately called him Broccoli Head. He was from the hills of Kentucky and spoke with a serious southern drawl. He came to my desk one time to show me a picture he had drawn. Having no idea what I was looking at, I asked him to tell me what it was. Expecting to hear something like car, tree or Superman, I almost fell out of my chair when he proclaimed, "That there's creativity!" In print the story doesn't seem too funny, but if you say it aloud with a southern drawl, especially the word, "cree-ay-tiv-uh-tee", it's downright hilarious.

I also remember a time the Broccoli Head came to my desk for help with his math homework. He was working on simple addition and had been given colored cubes to help him count (2 red cubes + 3 blue cubes = 5 cubes). I showed him how to count out each set of cubes, then push them together and total them up. His eyes lit up and he was truly IMPRESSED! He asked who thought of doing math that way. I told him I really didn't know. He then looked at me and replied, "Well, it's a dang good idea!".

The Broccoli Head moved away that year and I haven't seen him since. I often wonder what happened to my little southern friend. Wherever he is, I hope he's doing well. As near as I can remember, he's probably in high school by now. I miss that little guy. He used to really brighten my day.






No comments:

Post a Comment