Monday, February 1, 2016

What time is it?

A few days ago I posted information about the dying art of cursive writing. A skill I believe still has a place in 21st century America. I blame the prevalence of electronic devices for the slow killing of cursive handwriting. As a teacher I have noticed another skill that is slowly disappearing... telling time. Yes, folks, children today CANNOT read an analog clock. Everything in their world gives them a digital readout of the time of day. Think about it. Computers, tablets and phones all display time in a digital format. I have two clocks in my classroom. As a form of mild protest against the digital takeover, both are analog clocks. Children ask me many times a day, "Mr. Meyer, what time is it?" I just smile and point at the clock and tell them, "There's the clock... right there". They grimace, mutter something incomprehensible and walk away. I refuse to tell them all day long what time it is. This may sound mean, but doggone it, these kids need to know how to read a clock. Analog clocks are still EVERYWHERE! I still love it when kids ask, "How many more minutes until lunch?" or "What number will the big hand be on when it's lunch time?". I just smile and remind them of the two clocks hanging prominently on my classroom wall. The way I feel about it, is if these kids want to know when it's time for lunch, they should learn how to read a clock. It's not difficult. It's just a matter of taking the initiative and the time to learn. In truth, it's just sad to see 4th graders who can't tell time. They can text. They can play sophisticated video games. They can navigate a complicated iPhone with all its intricacies. But they can't read a stinkin' clock. The fact is, there is no reason (in their minds) to learn how to read a clock. It's quite disheartening, but I will NEVER give in. No digital clocks in my classroom. Sorry kids!












For the record... I am not a sadist. The clocks in my classroom DO HAVE numbers on them. Can you imagine the uproar and chaos if I had a clock like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment