Saturday, February 4, 2012

The BEST birthday present ever!



Today is my birthday. I don't like to acknowledge it and I do my best to keep it as low key as possible. I don't want a party and I don't want the wait staff to sing me a silly song at a restaurant. It has nothing to do with worrying about my age. It has everything to do with not wanting the attention. I'm an introvert to the core. I wouldn't even normally be typing this post, but something happened that I just can't keep quiet about...

I met my granddaughter today. Well, sort of. We were on Skype with Jessi, Barry and Sveta. I don't believe I can put into words the emotions that went through my body during that video phone call. I also would have trouble summarizing the whole thing, so I guess a list of bullet points may be best.

* The introductions started with Jessi pointing to the screen and saying our names with Sveta repeating them... Grandma, Gampaw (no R after the g), Michael, Abby.

* We spent a long time playing "Koo Koo". In America it's called "Peek-a-Boo". We'd cover our eyes while saying our name and then say, "Koo Koo" when we uncovered our eyes. Sveta REALLY likes this game. I have to say... I like it too :-)

* After only a few days in Jessi and Barry's care, Sveta is already picking up some English. Jessi would hold both her arms and Sveta would count, "One, two, threeeeeeee!" and Jessi would lift her up. I heard her say bottle (referring to an empty water bottle in her hand). She also repeated the names of many body parts for us... eyes, nose, mouth etc... She points to Jessi and says, "Mama Morton". She points to Barry and says, "Papa Morton". Points to herself and says, "Sveta Morton".

* Sveta was tickling us through the computer. She would reach forward and say, "Tickle Tickle". We'd all laugh and she thought it was really funny.

* She spent a lot of time climbing on Jessi (literally), running around, hopping, jumping, twirling, spinning and dancing about. She is a non-stop bundle of energy. It confirmed in my mind that Fireball is the perfect nickname for her. I think it'll stick.

* Speaking of nicknames... by the end of the visit, the name Gampaw had morphed into "Goppa" (Gah-puh). I kind of like the sound of it. She can call me Goppa all she wants :-)

* At the end she became tired of visiting with us and tired in general (it had been a long day and her bedtime was approaching).

*Finally we concluded the cyber-visit with Sveta saying "I love you" (in Russian this time) followed by our names.

It may sound strange, but Tami and I feel like the bonding process has already begun. It wasn't a long visit and we were just images on a computer screen to her. But it felt so good to actually interact with her... to talk with her and hear her speak our names. She is no longer a video or photograph... she's my granddaughter and I'm her Goppa.

This was the BEST birthday present ever!

2 comments:

  1. Hope you have a wonderful birthday "Goppa". So glad you were able to interact with Sveta. That was a wonderful gift to all of you. So glad to hear that everyone is getting to connect with Sveta. She is a very lucky little girl. God bless you all and have a wonderful birthday.
    Love Pam and Jerry

    ReplyDelete