Thursday, February 9, 2012

More waiting...

I'm still floating on cloud nine after Sveta's homecoming last night. It was so wonderful to finally see her after all the time we spent waiting for her and praying for her. Now we must wait yet again to see our dear Sveta. How long exactly? I don't know. It's going to be difficult, but it really is for the best. Allow me to explain. When a couple adopts a child (especially an international adoption), it is recommended to employ a practice known as "Circling the Wagons". Basically this is the practice of limiting visitors (including extended family) for the protection of the child. This allows the child time to bond with the parents, gives her the chance to adapt to a new environment and permits her to get used to everything involved in her new life. A constant stream of visitors (all of whom mean well and have good intentions) can be confusing to the child and may create an inadvertent feeling of instability. Once the bonding is well under way and a routine is established, the circle can be very slowly widened. At first the extended family can make short visits and those visits can be lengthened according to the child's level of comfort and adaptation. Eventually the circle is widened more and more until the process is complete. It sounds kind of strict, and I wish I could go and visit Sveta... right now. But I realize this is what is best for Sveta and I realize my future with her will be better at the end of this process. I will patiently wait (as best I can) and will visit her the moment it is appropriate. She's smart as a whip and I think Sveta is going to adjust to her new life quickly. Goppa is excited for that day.

2 comments:

  1. I know EXACTLY how you feel! As the 'Nana' on the other side, I am also trying to be patient. This is certainly one of God's ways to teach me!

    I LOVE JESSI'S SIDE OF SVETA'S FAMILY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess we're just a bunch of "GA-GA" grandparents :-) I guess it's understandable since it's everybody's first grandchild.

    By the way, Nana... I guess you've figured out that I am going to be "Goppa" :-)

    WE LOVE BARRY'S SIDE OF SVETA'S FAMILY JUST AS MUCH!

    ReplyDelete