Wednesday, February 1, 2012

My Favorite Hobby


After so much attention on this blog to Sveta, I thought it might be time for a change of pace. With temperatures in the 50's and 60's this week, it has caused me to think of one of my favorite hobbies... Treasure Hunting with my Metal Detector.

About 8 or 9 years ago, a very good friend (Bill Bertke) invited me to go treasure hunting with him. I wasn't exactly sure what he meant. He explained that he had recently discovered the hobby of metal detecting. Up to that point my idea of metal detecting was some old guy swinging a metal detector on the beach. You know, the guy wearing black socks with his sandals and plaid shorts. Anyway, I accepted Bill's invitation. I borrowed one of his metal detectors and away we went. The first thing I remember is being very excited. I love history and the thought of digging up artifacts, relics, jewelry and old coins captivated me. But as you may guess, it wasn't exactly that easy. The next thing I remember is being a bit frustrated. The metal detector would indicate something was in the ground. I would dig a hole and discover that what I was searching for usually eluded me. When I did find something it was usually junk. Bottle caps, pop cans, nails, aluminum foil etc... However, with some practice I began to find stuff more quickly and occasionally I would find something interesting. A penny or dime, an old make up case from the early 1900's, a medallion from many years ago. It didn't take long before I was hooked.

Not long after that day, I was discussing my new found hobby with my in-laws. My father in law mentioned that he owned a metal detector and would be happy to loan it to me. I readily accepted the offer and began metal detecting in earnest. Every free moment I had was spent searching the area around my house for buried treasure. Before long I really got the hang of it. I was able to to discriminate between junk and something worth digging up with some regularity. I began finding quite a bit of money too. You'd be shocked at the amount of money buried in the ground in your own yard, in parks, in school yards, on playgrounds. I've heard it said there is more money in the ground than there is in circulation. That may not be true, but I can tell you I've never searched a plot of ground without finding money. It is literally EVERYWHERE!

People often ask if I've ever found anything old or anything valuable. The answer is yes and no. Yes, I've found a lot of old coins and interesting artifacts. No, I've never found anything valuable. The oldest coin I have found is a large cent from 1835. Essentially it's an old copper penny about the size of a half dollar. It's worth about $20. It's so interesting to think that this coin was minted when Andrew Jackson was President. It also makes me wonder who may have handled this coin in the last 177 years. Wow!

I've also found silver coins and jewelry. Any dime or quarter minted before 1964 is made of silver. I've found a few jewelry items made of silver, but they're not worth all that much. I'm still waiting for the day when I find my first piece of gold jewelry. Who doesn't like finding gold, right?

The best thing about this hobby is that it has given me opportunities to spend time with my kids. Michael and Abby enjoy it too. We've spent many warm days metal detecting together and enjoying each others company. They don't enjoy it as much anymore... as teenagers they have other interests, but that's okay. We still go on a hunt when we get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment