Monday, June 11, 2012

Daddy Date!

I have previously posted on this blog the importance of dating your spouse. You date one another leading up to your marriage. Why stop after you're married? Don't let jobs, kids or the busy-ness of life get in the way. Tami and I went on a date last night and really enjoyed being with each other. But that's not what this blog post is about. The subject line says "Daddy Date". Have you ever thought of dating your kids? I know it sounds strange, but it just means taking your kids out individually and spending time one on one. It may sound a little weird for a father to date his son, so we just call it "Guy Time" or something similar. But in the case of girls, I call it a Daddy Date.

Tomorrow I will be taking Abby on a long overdue Daddy Date. She wants to eat at Chipotle (no problem there!). She wants me to take her driving (she gets her learner's permit next month). She wants to go shopping (this one is a bit of a challenge for this Daddy, but we'll go... it's her day). We may play a round of miniature golf (weather permitting). And we'll probably end the date with ice cream (I think it's a state law that all Daddy Dates must end with ice cream).

I'm looking forward to spending this special day with Abby. She always eats up the attention she gets. She'll be 15 next month and I'm not sure how many more Daddy Dates she'll let me take her on. It will be a sad day when she's too cool or too grown up to hang out with her Daddy. Until that time, I'll take as many as I can get!



No comments:

Post a Comment