Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Climate Control

I've taught at St. Bernard Elementary for 23 years. In all my years in that building, the climate control has never worked properly. In the warm months, the AC doesn't work well and it's hot in my classroom. In the winter, the heat doesn't work well and it's cold in my classroom. Every year I tell my students the same thing. If it's cold outside, it's going to be cold in the classroom... dress accordingly. The same thing happens during hot weather except it's the opposite. Of course kids don't listen and wear short sleeves in the winter and sit in my class and shiver. Some of them will never learn!

The classroom next to me is even worse. It has a HUGE vent that leads straight outside (about 8 feet by 8 feet). In the warm months, hot, humid air flows directly into the building. In the winter, the cold wind howls and blows frigid air directly into the building. A few years ago I was sitting at my desk grading papers when my teaching partner yelled, "Mick! Get over here! It's snowing in my classroom! I'm not kidding!" I went over and sure enough there it was... a light dusting of snow accumulating on the carpet just below that large vent. It was snowing outside and apparently the wind was blowing JUST right... the snow was coming right through that vent. How many teachers out there can honestly claim it has snowed INSIDE THEIR SCHOOL? I can :-)

So when I tell the kids it will be cold in the building if it's cold outside... I'm not joking around. Yet another reason I love winter (*Sarcasm, of course*). Brrrr!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment