Saturday, November 24, 2012

The wonder is NOT gone...

I woke up this morning, dragged the large box out of the storage closet and began the arduous task of putting together the artificial Christmas tree. It was my plan to assemble it, put the lights on it and then finish with the ornaments. In years past this was an activity we did with the kids and it was a big event. I thought this year was going to be the end of all that. Michael had to work all day and Abby had plans that were going to keep her busy most of the day. I was kind of resigned to getting it put up and just being done with it. However, just as I finished assembling the tree itself, Michael came into the room and asked if I was planning to do the whole thing myself. When I told him, "Yes, that's my plan", he was very disappointed and asked if I'd wait for a time when he could help with the ornaments and lights. How could i deprive my son of something that obviously still gives him joy? I agreed to wait. A bit later Abby came into the room and basically repeated what her brother had said. Just when I thought the kids no longer cared about decorating the Christmas tree, I am smacked in the face with the realization that the wonder of Christmas isn't gone for the kids. Sooooooooo........ Monday night Michael is bringing his girlfriend to the house (she really loves Christmas too) and the three of them (Michael, Abby and Meredith) will decorate the tree. I'm sure we'll play some christmas music and the hot chocolate will be flowing. It makes me pine for the days when Jessi would help with the tree, but she has a family of her own now. I'm glad things worked out this way. We may be on our way to being empty nesters, but we're not there yet.




No comments:

Post a Comment