Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Gobble Gobble

Many years ago, my brother Kerry and his best friend Joel would try to be the first to call the other on Thanksgiving morning and make turkey sounds into the phone. These good natured prank phone calls went on for a long time. In recent years these two friends have drifted apart somewhat, so I decided to pick up the torch. Now I try to be the first to "Gobble" at my friend, Joel. (I failed to mention that Joel was a mutual friend between my brother and me). It's been fun each Thanksgiving morning to be either the "Gobbler" or the "Gobblee". Being the first to make the Gobble Call is not as easy as it may sound. We are hard working guys and it IS a holiday after all. You don't want to be disrespectful and wake up a guy who is sleeping in. So the trick is to wait long enough to not wake him up, but not too long because he will "Gobble" you first. I know this is all very childish and sophomoric, but hey, tradition is tradition :-)

A few years ago I was telling my son-in-law, Barry about this silliness. He loved the idea and decided to join the fun. Now when my phone rings on Thanksgiving morning not only do I get gobbled at, but I also have to try and figure out if it was Joel or Barry. They're both a couple of turkeys in their own right anyway :-)

One more day until the tomfoolery commences :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment