Tuesday, January 22, 2013

And then there were three...

I've spent some time on this blog talking about Tami and I being in the pre-stages of the empty nest. Tonight at dinner it began to hit home. Dinner used to be a noisy affair. Mom, Dad and three kids. It was a real challenge to make sure only one person was talking at a time. When Jessi moved out, dinner was a little quieter, but not much. Michael and Abby picked up the slack just fine. These days Michael is never home for dinner and will be moving out in a matter of weeks. So Abby is now the only child at dinner with Tami and me. It's a strange thing to watch the family shrinking before my very eyes. I couldn't help but picture what things will be like in a couple of years when Abby is rarely home and getting ready to move out. It's almost comical to picture Tami and me sitting alone, staring across the table at one another and wondering where everyone (and the time) went. I joke about it now, but this is going to be a stark reality more quickly than I realize. I'm not much of a conversationalist, so I think the Meyer house is in for some quiet dinners in the future.

Will we look like this?

Or maybe like this?




No comments:

Post a Comment