Monday, January 28, 2013

The Day the Shuttle Fell

27 years ago today, I was a freshman in college. I was working part time as a fry cook at Long John Silvers restaurant. I went in that morning to pick up my paycheck before heading off to my classes for the day. It was then a co-worker asked me, "Did you hear what happened?". That question usually indicates bad news. That day was no different. I said I had not heard the news and of course was told immediately the space shuttle Challenger had exploded shortly after lift off. I was only 19 years old, but hearing those words sent shivers down my spine. I don't know why, but something compelled me to go home and turn on the television instead of going to school. Obviously I was interested in what happened, but it was probably just a really good excuse to skip class (I hope my kids aren't reading this).

We all know the rest of the story. The temperature at Cape Canaveral, Florida was below freezing, the Challenger blasted off seemingly like so many shuttles before, 73 seconds later it exploded and 7 astronauts were tragically killed. This particular launch was being watched by an unusually high number of people because of the Teacher in Space program. Millions of school children around the nation watched from their classrooms as Christa McAuliffe perished along with 6 other astronauts.

I remember watching the wall to wall coverage that day. I think most Americans did the same. There was the typical speculation of the cause and the endless replays of the explosion. There was the view of the spectators as they looked on in disbelief and shock. I remember President Reagan addressing the nation that evening. His message was so sincere and heartfelt. It was a day I'll never forget. It was one of those days a person says, "I remember where I was when...".

I guess the only thing that surprises me is that it was 27 years ago.

The Challenger Crew

Disaster Strikes

Memorial at Arlington National Cemetery



No comments:

Post a Comment