Friday, January 11, 2013

Kickin' it old school

I am a history buff. I'm sure everyone knows of my fascination with maritime history and shipwrecks. I am also interested in any relics or artifacts from the past (particularly those found locally). I guess this is why I love my hobby of metal detecting so much. It's not just the hunt for treasure that fascinates me, but just never knowing what you might dig up is a thrill.

This post is not about metal detecting, treasure hunting or finding artifacts. It's about one particular photo I stumbled upon this week. The photo is taken from the air and shows the three old school buildings that sat on the grounds where the St. Bernard schools sit today. As near as I can tell, this photo was taken in the late 20's or early 30's. I cannot stop studying and staring at the photo. There are so many things to look at and compare to the buildings that stand today. The building in the center of the photo is the old St. Bernard High School. The building to the left of the high school is the old elementary school. The building at the top left is the old auditorium. The auditorium not only housed an actual auditorium, but also a gym, a running track and an indoor pool. These buildings are where my grandpa and both my parents went to school. (My grandpa graduated in 1936 and my parents in '61 and '62) All three of these buildings were demolished in the mid 70's and new buildings were subsequently erected in their place. I attended Kindergarten in the old elementary school and attended 1st and 2nd grade in the old high school (they housed us there while the new elementary was being built).

Looking at a photo like this makes me fantasize about time travel. I wish I could go back and just look at all this stuff. I'm not talking about a "Back to the Future" movie scenario. Just a chance to observe... to just look around without affecting the future. I know that sounds weird, but I've always wondered what it would be like to go back and look (as an adult, knowing what I know now). Call me wacky if you want to, but it would be awfully cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment