Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Everything is CHANGING! Ugh!

As expected, my teaching assignment for next year is changing. The official word came down yesterday. For the last ten years I have taught Social Studies to 4th, 5th and 6th graders (2 classes each).  Next year I will be teaching 6th grade only. I will be teaching two sections each of Reading, Language Arts (English) and Social Studies. The changes don't stop there either. I will be changing classrooms and getting a new teaching partner (somebody I don't know at all!). This is a lot of change for a guy who gets in a tizzy with the slightest change in any aspect of my life. I guess you could say I'm not doing too well. I need time to think through all this and process all the changes that are in my future.

I will be spending a considerable part of my summer preparing to teach new subjects. I taught this stuff ten years ago, but so much has changed since then. I seriously doubt any part of it remains intact. I will also be spending a great deal of time moving my classroom. This is no easy endeavor. Bookcases, desks, shelving units, file cabinets, tables, books, supplies, etc.... You name it and I have to move it. Then once it's moved I have to set up my new classroom. This can take many days. Moving a classroom may not seem like a big deal. Let me assure you... It IS a big deal.

Considering all that I described above, the fact that I will be working an extra job and I will probably be taking a class... my summer is pretty much full. There won't be much time for fun and sun this year. Remember my post about teachers getting three months off? Here's more proof positive it's a myth. Please understand I am not complaining. Even with all the extra work that I face this summer, I still get plenty of time off throughout the school year. I am mostly lamenting the wholesale changes to my work life.

I am also losing a really good friend. A member of our teaching team is being transferred to another building. The entire staff in my building has good rapport. We are more like an extended family than co-workers. It's painful to lose somebody. It's not as if we won't welcome the new member of our faculty. We will (as we always are) be very gracious in welcoming a new member to our team.

As you can tell, this is all very difficult for me. I will make it through and I will be fine.   As I promised, I will accept what God has given me and will trust He is doing what is best for me. I trust in Him alone. Sole Deo Gloria (To God alone be the glory).

No comments:

Post a Comment