Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day

Today is Memorial Day. The unofficial beginning of summer. Across this great nation people will be grilling burgers and dogs, swimming in their pools, playing cornhole, going to the park, going fishing or enjoying any number of the thousands of activities Americans do in warm weather. All that stuff is great. I enjoy popping a cold one, grilling out and soaking up the sun just as much as the next guy, but today I want to make sure I reflect and remember why I'm able to do these things. It's because brave veterans before me have fought to preserve these often taken for granted freedoms. The brave folks, some no more than kids, gave their lives for our country. Not all of them died. There is a well known saying about veterans (I have no idea who said it or where it originated). "All gave some. Some gave all." It really does say everything you need to know. Today I thank God for these people who served (or are serving) in our nation's armed forces. God has blessed the United States of America for well over two hundred years, and I pray for His continued blessing. Enjoy your Memorial Day folks, but please don't forget the true meaning behind this national holiday. God Bless America!

P.S. Tami saw this post from Michael on his FaceBook page. I just felt like I needed to share it because it shows that my son "Gets it". I am so proud of him!

I don't particularly want to work tomorrow. But you know what, men and women died to give me the freedom to pick what job I please. And they gave me the freedom to work for a living. What blessings those are! I am writing this status from the comfort of my middle class American home, not having to worry that the government will drag me out in the middle of the night for my religious beliefs. So, why complain about work? I am a blessed man indeed. I love being an American, and I am thankful for it!





No comments:

Post a Comment