Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Myth Busters

I'm guessing most of you are familiar with the television show Myth Busters. Common myths are confirmed or busted based on scientific experiments.

Welcome to Myth Busters Teacher Edition. There won't be any scientific experiments or any real proof for that matter. I want to confirm or bust some myths commonly held about teachers. Please keep in mind this is all from my own 23 years of experience and may not reflect the experience of all teachers. This post is purely subjective. It is also meant to be done in fun... not to gripe or lament my career choice.

Myth- Teachers get three full months of summer vacation (June, July and August).
Reality- Although I can't speak to all school schedules, my school dismisses after the first week of June and resumes in mid-August. For starters, that's actually closer to two months. You must also consider I go into my classroom at the beginning of August to get my classroom ready. I will also be taking a weeklong class this summer. This translates into a 6 week summer, which is still a great vacation, but it's far from the perceived 3 month vacation. Yeah, I know we get Christmas and Spring Breaks. I'm not complaining about time off, just debunking the 3 months off myth.

Myth- Teachers are Lazy.
Reality- Just as it is in any profession, there are bad apples, but you can't judge all teachers based on a few bad ones. Just like a few bad cops or doctors doesn't make all cops and doctors bad. I think many people picture teachers sitting with their feet on their desk, drinking coffee and reading the paper. Nobody I have ever worked with has done this. Most teachers are tremendously dedicated and work very hard. I've definitely worked with a few teachers who weren't hard workers. Everybody knew who they were and they weren't respected colleagues.

Myth- Teachers are highly paid babysitters.
Reality- In truth, sometimes it feels like it. However, teachers have a noble job to do and we do it. We are on the front lines and in the trenches every day. We work hard every day to deliver the curriculum to all students and to educate them as best we can.

Myth- Those who can... do. Those who can't... teach.
Reality- This one is hurtful. The implication that teachers are the castoffs who couldn't get a real education or do a real job is a slap in the face. I'd like to think the work I'm doing is worthwhile and having a positive effect on my students. I have no doubt I could have chosen another career path and been successful in it.

Myth- Teachers are in it for themselves.
Reality- There's no doubt I've worked with some selfish people. Who hasn't? But the idea that teachers are teaching for selfish motives or are in it to get rich is generally incorrect. Most teachers aren't teaching for the paycheck or prestige. They do it because they want to and they want to make a difference.

Myth- The last few weeks of school is nothing but one big party.
Reality- Nothing could be farther from the truth. The idea that I spend the last month of school having picnics, playing kickball, showing movies and playing games in the classroom is preposterous. Those things are stressful for teachers. The fact is, the more structured things are and the more we can stay in our routine, the better things are. Unless I'm required to have my students participate in an unstructured activity, I'm going to be teaching material in my classroom.

Myth- Teachers only work 7 hours per day.
Reality- Oh boy, where do I start? It's true students are in my classroom approximately 7 hours a day. My work day does not begin or end with the student day. There is much work done before students arrive and long after they leave. There are lots of things that can't be done while students are in the room. Obviously I can't grade papers, enter report cards or any other record keeping while I'm teaching. What most folks don't consider is the endless meetings teachers attend, parent phone calls that need to be made, paperwork that seems infinite and papers that are graded on our own time. The 7 hour work day is only the tip of the iceberg. I also understand this is the case for lots of jobs... not just teachers.

Myth- Teachers enjoy punishing kids
Reality- Are you serious? Giving consequences for behavior issues is tons more work and a lot more stressful. I'm happiest when my classroom is running smoothly, I'm teaching, kids are learning and I'm not imposing consequences.

Myth- Teachers have "Favorite" students. (known as teachers' pets in the old days).
Reality- Yes, it's true. We have our favorite students. We're human beings prone to human nature. Although most teachers (myself included) work really hard not to show favoritism. I'm guilty of having a soft spot in my heart for that extra needy kid who never thinks of himself or that really nice kid who always works hard and puts forth 100% effort. I always adhere to the "if you're nice to me, I'm nice to you" rule, but I try not to show favoritism.

Myth- Parents support teachers when their little angel acts up in class.
Reality- It's usually quite the opposite. More often than not parents believe their child's side of the story (even when it's a flat out lie) and peg me as the bad guy. Many times parents will sound like they're supporting me, but will side with their child when the chips are down.

Myth- Teachers LOVE assigning homework
Reality- Yeah, I've worked with some homework happy teachers throughout the years, but most aren't that way. Assigning lots of homework makes for large amounts of extra work for me. Homework has its place in education, but I don't generally assign loads of it. The fact is, I enjoy my down time in the evening and I'm sure my students do too. Some homework? Okay. Massive amounts? No thank you.  

I've heard it said that everyone thinks they're an expert in education because everyone has been to school. I think there's truth in that (no matter how incorrect it is). I'm no expert in dentistry even though I've been to the dentist dozens of times. I've gone to church all my life, but that by no means makes me a preacher.

Folks, the bottom line is this... Teachers are human. There are good ones and there are bad ones. More good than bad. Teachers make mistakes. Some readily admit those mistakes others stubbornly deny them. Some teachers are humble, some are proud and arrogant. In general I think you'll find teachers are good people. Maybe sometime I can make a blog post giving you an inside look at the teachers lounge. Now THAT will show you what teachers are all about and it will be quite entertaining.

1 comment:

  1. Such a great post and so true! Happy last few weeks of school!

    ReplyDelete