Tuesday, May 7, 2013

To mow or not to mow...

I don't profess to know anything about William Shakespeare or his writings. For some reason I could never get interested in reading this intellectual stuff. However,there are a few quotes that are almost universally known. "Romeo, Oh Romeo. Wherefore art thou, Romeo?". Double, double, toil and trouble. Fire burn and cauldron bubble". "To be or not to be. That is the question". You get the idea...

This isn't Shakespeare, but I must ask... "To mow or not to mow? That is the question". I guess everyone has figured it out by now. I'm a bit fanatical about my lawn and yard work. I take great pride in maintaining a tidy lawn and well groomed landscaping. It certainly doesn't look professionally done, but it's mine and I'm proud of it.

I mentioned yesterday the wet weather forecast and how it is causing me great concern. Not only does the rainy weather mess up outdoor party plans, but it also causes a problem where mowing the lawn is concerned. The aforementioned pride in the way my lawn looks is the real reason for my concern. Having large numbers of people at my house causes me to want to have my lawn looking in tip-top condition. The idea of having a party and not having a freshly mown and manicured lawn is unthinkable. Or is it? Is it really THAT important? Are my family and friends going to judge my lawn care skills on my grass being a bit long because of wet conditions? I know they won't. I'm being stupid. These folks are not coming to my home to see a nice looking yard. They are coming for fellowship, fun and to celebrate the soon-to-be-born Morton baby. Actually I have to give the credit to my wife for talking sense into me. She said, "These are people that love you. They don't care if your grass is a little long"... and you know what? She's right. She's beautiful AND wise. Nobody will think less of me if the rain prevents a lawn mowing before Saturday. I need to get over myself. In the end, the only one who cares about the grass is me. The guests are coming to see my pregnant daughter, her husband, Sveta and to shower them with baby gifts (and the food... obviously they're coming for the food :-). It's time for me to focus on what's important and quit worrying about superficial things. My treasure is stored up in Heaven... not out in the yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment