Wednesday, May 15, 2013

I Love Change!

I love change! If you know me at all, you know that statement is pure sarcasm. In reality I am a true creature of habit. I never want anything to change... EVER! I always have to sit in the same seat at my school lunch table or the same pew at church. I have a weekly routine that I don't like to deviate from. There are thousands of things in my life that I work very hard to keep the same. I try like crazy to avoid any and all change. That pretty much sums up my entire life. But here's the funny thing... when change is forced on me, I sometimes end up really liking it. Tami is good about change. She knows how much I despise it, and really knows how to gently coax me into change. I am usually resistant to the change, but Tami knows how to get me just far enough outside my comfort zone without pushing me too far or driving me crazy.

Speaking of change, there is change in my near future at school. We are getting a new principal. I have worked for the current principal for about 19 years. I am very comfortable working for him and I'm accustomed to everything about him. Next year we get somebody new. I have no idea what the new principal will be like, but true to my character I am not looking forward to the change. However, if history is any indicator I will probably end up liking the new principal just fine. He deserves a chance and he'll get it from me. There is also more change likely in my future. There is a strong possibility I will be given a new teaching assignment next year. A new grade level, subject area and classroom are not out of the question. Less likely, but still possible is an assignment in a different building. All of this scares the living daylights out of me. Consider I have taught Social Studies at the same grade levels and in the same classroom for the last 13 years. Think I might be kind of set in my ways? Yeah, I am.

Knowing I do not like change, I have been praying. You might think my prayer has been to stay exactly where I am, doing what I've always done. In short, praying for no change. That's not the case at all. My prayer has been to acknowledge that God knows what is best for me more than I know what is best for me. My prayer has been to accept whatever God has for me. Not my will, but Your will be done, Lord. If my teaching assignment changes it's because this is God's will for me. I pray for the faith to trust in the Lord. I am weak, but with God all things are possible. Even Mick Meyer graciously accepting change in his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment