Monday, May 20, 2013

Signs of Summer

I can't hide it. This time of year brings about a restlessness in me like no other. Most teachers would probably tell you the same thing. As the school year winds down (and as my students wind up), I start counting the days until summer vacation. It's true I will be working a second job and taking a class this summer, (So I won't have total freedom), but it still means there's a break in my near future. I will have time to accomplish some things I don't normally have time for during the school year. It's funny. This time of year friends and family alike ask me the same question. "soooooo.... how many days left?". They smile and I smile because we are both aware I know the exact number of days remaining until summer break. If you were to ask me at this moment, my answer would be, "12 and a half, but who's counting?" Ha!

As Memorial Day approaches, there are some sure fire signs that summer is coming fast.

* Most mornings you'll find me on the deck with my Bible and some coffee.
* A trip into my classroom reveals a summer countdown for all to see.
* A peek at my calendar reveals a summer countdown that started in early April.
* The cover is off the pool.
* Lawn furniture is on the deck and ready for action!
* Earthboxes are planted and tomatoes are growing on the deck.
* The kitchen is put on mothballs and the grill is used for dinner every night.
* My metal detector is dusted off and ready for a summer of treasure hunting.
* My yard looks the way it is supposed to.
* There's a good chance you'll find me listening to the Reds on radio
* I'm outside more often than not.
* My classroom feels like a sauna. They say our school is air conditioned... um, it only works when you turn it on. Cost saving measures... UGH!
* Michael calls and asks if we have an extra fan. Funny how he complained that we didn't keep the house cool enough. Now that he's paying his own utility bill, he refuses to use his AC. Perspective!
*When my students come in from recess, their B.O. permeates the whole room. YUCK!
* Thunderstorms become an almost daily threat. I like storms :-)
* Most nights end up with a trip to the creamy whip.

No comments:

Post a Comment