Tuesday, July 22, 2014

As I slow down...

As I slow down, the world speeds up. This is not a favorable combination. With each passing day technology is advancing, but I am not. I am set in my ways and resistant to any new fangled ideas. It reminds me of the time back in the mid 90's when I tried to introduce e-mail to my grandma. Something that was seemingly so simple to me, was completely incomprehensible to her. She never did learn to use it (and I doubt she ever really tried). At the time I was frustrated that she wouldn't join the progression of the times. Why wouldn't somebody want to use this wonderful and efficient mode of communication? Probably for the same reason people many years ago didn't learn to use a telephone or telegraph... they had gotten along fine before the new technology came along and they would get along fine without it now. I feel the same way about Skype, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, Flickr, iPhones, Smartphones and a thousand other technological doohickeys. My life was fine before all that stuff came along and I will likely survive without learning how to use any of that stuff. The sun will set tonight and will rise again tomorrow even if I don't learn the technology of the 21st century. My kids laugh at me all the time and shake their heads in disbelief when I can't grasp even the simplest technological advance. The reason I write this is I have been feeling old lately. The world is passing me by and I am well aware of it. It's a scary thing, but I am strangely okay with it. I am simply experiencing what my father experienced, what his father before him experienced and his father before him... It's been that way since the dawn of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment