Thursday, July 17, 2014

Lesourdesville Lake/Americana

Yesterday Tami and I travelled to Germantown, Ohio to bid an estate sale job. On the way home we passed the old Lesourdesville Lake/Americana amusement park that has been abandoned for over a decade. There's was no way I was going to drive by without at least a short stop to take a peek. And that's exactly what I did...

I don't believe in ghosts, but looking through the locked gates this dilapidated park looked eerily haunted. Buildings are falling down. Weeds are overgrowing everything. Paint is peeling. Rust is everywhere. Yet if I listened closely enough, I could almost hear carnival music playing, children squealing on rides, midway workers barking out their pitch to get unsuspecting players to try their luck at the rigged games and the sounds of people enjoying a summer day at an amusement park. It was so strange to see a place that was once bustling and teeming with life, sitting silent, abandoned and decaying. In 20 years there will probably be nothing but a grass field on that property. For now, I can find beauty in what is probably viewed as an eyesore in that area. I'm probably a little weird, but I find places like this old park fascinating. I can look past the complete disrepair of this place and see what used to be. A place that holds a handful of childhood memories for me. I didn't go to this park a lot, but I remember going at least twice. The older I get, the more I like to relive things from my past while trying to not think about today. That's precisely what I did yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment