Friday, August 21, 2015

A new man

I have to tell you, folks, I feel like a new man today. I just completed the first week of my 26th year of teaching. I know I don't remember them all, but I think this was probably the BEST first week I've ever had. I feel a rejuvenation that I thought I'd never feel again. Teaching these fourth graders has been a real breath of fresh air. These kids aren't out to make my life miserable and they are not out to get each other. Most of them actually seem to still like school (something that is not the case for the sixth graders I taught the last two years). It is such a nice feeling to walk into school and not feel my blood pressure rise the moment I hit the door. I know all my weeks will not be like this and I know my students will have good days and bad days (who doesn't?). But in the big picture of life, this is something I can definitely deal with. I feel like I can actually teach again and not feel like I'm a prison guard. If you think I'm exaggerating, come and witness 6th grade recess sometime. I've never been a proactive person, but in this case I am so glad I requested a transfer to 4th grade. For once I asked for something and it turned out to be the right choice. I hope I get to make a lot more posts like this one. It is so wonderful to feel like I'm actually making a difference.

As always, Soli Deo Gloria! To God alone be the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment