Thursday, October 24, 2013

Putting your "Breast" foot forward

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. There are Susan G. Komen events in every corner of this nation. Pink ribbons adorn every surface available. NFL football players wear pink cleats and wrist bands. The referees even threw pink penalty flags for a week. My new Principal told the teachers they could wear jeans for a day next week if we wear a pink shirt. That's fine. I'm all for breast cancer awareness. My maternal grandmother died of breast cancer, my aunt is currently battling it and my mom has had several scares after mammograms.

Hearing my new Principal's directive for breast cancer awareness reminded me of a funny story from last year. My former Principal wanted to promote breast cancer awareness. He got on the school's loud speaker and instead of making an announcement about breast cancer awareness, he mistakenly said it was, "Breast Awareness Month". As you can imagine, the teachers had a field day with that blunder.

Next week I will wear my pink shirt in honor of Breast Awareness Month. I've always been one to get behind a cause. Count me in!

No comments:

Post a Comment