Saturday, October 26, 2013

Soon it will be...

In about week it all begins. Halloween will be over and the Christmas season will be upon us. Yep, that's right folks. Brace yourselves for two solid months of Christmas. Thank goodness Halloween acts as a buffer. If not for the wonderfulness of Halloween (sarcasm), I'm guessing retailers would start the Christmas season right after Labor Day. Some stores already have Christmas stuff up. How dare they disrespect Halloween like that! (Yup, more sarcasm!).

It used to be the Christmas season didn't start until Thanksgiving. You know how Santa always ended the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade to open the Christmas season, right? Well, apparently that's not enough for retailers. They have to start the Christmas shopping season in mid October. Not only that, the sacredness of Black Friday has been encroached upon as well (Uh-huh. Even MORE sarcasm). Now instead of opening very early on the Friday after Thanksgiving, retailers are opening Thanksgiving night. Bargain hunters now must line up mid-afternoon Thanksgiving Day for the joys of holiday shopping. Madness. Pure unadulterated madness is what this is! And do you know why retailers are doing this? It's simple. It's because people are stupid enough to sacrifice one of the best family days of the year in order to get a good deal on a flat screen TV. Believe me, if nobody showed up, the retailers wouldn't open on Thanksgiving. And what about the poor employees of these retailers? Do you think they really want to sacrifice their Thanksgiving to serve a bunch of crazed bargain hunters? Yeah, I seriously doubt it.

For the record... you won't see me shopping on Thanksgiving. You won't see me shopping on Black Friday. You probably won't see me Christmas shopping at all. I refuse to participate in this craziness. I will be at home eating turkey, eating pumpkin pie, watching football and keeping my hard earned cash in my pocket. Don't get me wrong though... the grandchildren will get plenty spoiled. I'm not a scrooge after all! I just won't be fighting crowds and knocking over housewives to buy their presents.

Merry Christmas, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment