Tuesday, October 15, 2013

White Castle Part 2

The family tradition involving White Castle hamburgers goes back further than Michael and me going to the Reds game.

I remember when I was a little boy going with my Grandpa to pick up White Castles for the family. Grandpa had a history of eating some of the food in the car before arriving home, so Grandma warned him NOT to eat any White Castles before we got back. Grandma ordered 20 White Castles and said she would count them when we got home. And you know what? She meant it! She would count every last slider! Grandpa was a sly old bird though. He ordered 24 White castles. We each ate two in the car, stopped along the way to dispose of the incriminating evidence and arrived home with Grandma's 20 burgers. To this day I'm not sure if she ever knew. Maybe she knew and would knowingly smile when Grandpa and I arrived home with the correct amount of White castles. Or maybe she was none the wiser... I wish I would have asked her before she passed away.

No comments:

Post a Comment