Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013- The Year in Review

As a blogger, I feel compelled (and maybe even obligated) to offer a review of the year that was 2013.

To God be the Glory! It was by His grace and His grace alone that we've gone through another year. This year has been full of more blessings than I could possibly count. It also had its share of trials and tribulations. I'm getting older and my memory is not as sharp as it used to be. I am very likely to forget some important things that have happened in the last year. Please bear with me as I do my best to remember the highlights (and some lowlights) for the Meyer Family in 2013.

January-

Tami and I were only a few weeks removed from finding out that our Daughter, Jessi, was pregnant with our second grandchild. We were sooooooo excited!

Michael got his new (used) car and moved out of the house to live in a condo with some friends. That was (and still is) sad for us (his moving out, not the car).

February-

February 8th we celebrated the one year anniversary of Sveta coming home. After a long and grueling adoption process, our little Russian angel came home on 2/8/2012.

February 18th Sveta turned 5. She was and still is growing up fast.

Important only to me --- I got my new recliner. My life has never been the same since.

March-

Michael goes on his Spring Break missions trip, "Beach Reach". He is planning on doing it again this year.

Abby performed in her school play, "Guys and Dolls". Good show!

April-

On a cold April Fools Day, I attended only the second Reds opening day of my life. The Reds lost, but it was a good time anyway.

Abby received her learners permit to drive. God help us all!

As a rare treat, I got to take Sveta on a date. It was just the two of us and it was glorious!

In a span of about three weeks this month I got a new grill and a new lawnmower. I was one HAPPY guy!

Tami had a routine procedure done. She had her esophagus stretched. It's not nearly as scary as it sounds according to Tami. This was the result of continually worsening symptoms culminated by a choking incident in a restaurant.

Tami also started her new part-time job. One that would turn out to be short lived.

May-

We hosted a shower for Baby Morton. A great family gathering that only added to our excitement about the upcoming birth in a few months.

A wonderful Mothers Day highlighted by hand made gifts from Sveta.

Much to my chagrin I found out my teaching assignment had been changed.

Sveta's Dance Recital. Nothing but pure enjoyment on this day.

I opened the pool only to find out my pump motor had given up the ghost. Oh the joys of owning a pool!

June-

Hands down the worst month of the year. In what was supposed to be a joyous celebration marking the end of the school year, my sister-in-law, Maria, died in Phoenix on June 6th. What followed was a cancelled vacation, unplanned trip to Arizona and impromptu drive to San Diego.

While in Phoenix on June 10th, I got the devastating news that my colleague of 23 years and very dear friend, Nancy Long had died suddenly. She was mere months from retirement and only 53 years old. Crushing. Just crushing.

While Tami and I were in Phoenix, Abby went on a luxury cruise with her aunt, uncle and cousins.

Late in the month "Baby Watch" kicked into high gear. Baby Morton was due on the 4th of July.

July-

As God has a way of doing, He followed a very difficult month with easily the most blessed event of the whole year. Our grandson, Elliott Morton, was born on July 16th... and on his mommy's birthday no less.























There were false reports of my untimely death on Facebook. Mr. Myers (an assistant principal in my school) died of a heart attack. Messages such as RIP Mr. Myers caused some to think it was me. My name is spelled M-E-Y-E-R (no "s"). I'm happy to report I am alive and well.

Abby took a life altering mission trip to Mexico. She even celebrated her sweet 16 birthday while down there.





































Tami and I celebrated our 22nd wedding anniversary.



August-

I begin my new teaching assignment and my 24th year as a teacher.

Tami started her new business of repurposing and refurbishing furniture. The part-time job she started in April did not work out.

September-

On September 23rd, this blog reached the milestone of 10,000 page views. As of today (December 31), I am within a hundred of 15,000. This boggles my mind!

The Reds season ends with a thud. What a disappointment!

October-

On October 1st, this blog turned 2 years old. Unbelievable!

We took Sveta to the fair for the second year in a row. More unforgettable memories!
























Feeling older every day, Michael turned 20 on October 20th.

November-

Abby pulls off a masterful performance as the "Plastic Politician" in her school play, Murder in the Knife Room.

My cousin Amy gave birth to twins. Welcome to the family Isaac and Aubrey.

I was approached by a church elder and asked if I'd consider being a deacon in the church. The election is in January. This is going to be a new challenge for me.

Abby found out she was hired at Perfect North Slopes for the season. This is a real step up for her.

Thanksgiving with the grandchildren was so much fun! They change and grow up every time we see them!

December-

A blessed Christmas season with the highpoint being Elliott's first Christmas. Sveta's lukewarm reaction to our gift was appalling to her mom, but hilarious to us. Some gifts are winners and some are not. Grandma and Goppa struck out this year.






































My niece, Olivia Ruthman, got engaged.

In a rare, but not unheard of weather event, my school had TWO snow days in December.


Well. There you have it folks. 2013 as best as I could remember it. The more I try to remember twelve months worth of events in my life, the more I realize how truly blessed my whole family is.

Sole' Deo Gloria!

1 comment: