Saturday, December 21, 2013

The TRUE meaning of Christmas

When you think about Christmas, what comes to mind? Santa Claus? Gifts? Shopping? Lights? Reindeer? Christmas carols? Holly? Christmas trees? Rudolph? Busy times celebrating with family? Cookies?

If you're like many folks it's probably a combination of some of these or maybe even all of them. Did you notice anything missing from my woefully inadequate list above? How about the birth of Jesus Christ? The very son of God who came to earth as a man to save men from their sin? Many people will tell you they know the real reason we celebrate Christmas. Some will even accurately say it's Jesus' birthday.

Listen, folks.I have no problem with all the fun stuff that has come to be associated with the holiday that commemorates the single most important event in the history of mankind. I enjoy Christmas parties, Christmas cookies and looking at Christmas lights as much as the next guy. However, I never want to lose sight or even minimize the significance of the Christmas season.

I recently read with great sadness a story out of New York. A school was doing a holiday program. Not a Christmas program, but a holiday program. One of the songs in the program was "Silent Night". In order to keep from offending anyone, the phrase 'Christ the Savior is born' was removed from the song. Are you kidding? Isn't the WHOLE song about the birth of Jesus? Think about it...

Silent Night, Holy Night. All is calm, all is bright. Round yon virgin mother and child. Holy infant so tender and mild. Sleep in heavenly peace.

In order to remove the intent of the song, you'd have to remove almost every word. I've been to many "holiday" concerts and programs in my day. I have heard the dreidel song and numerous references to the menorah and Hanukkah. I didn't understand the meaning of the songs or words because I am not Jewish. I can tell you I wasn't offended though. Why should I be? Jewish people can celebrate Hanukkah. I can celebrate Christmas. This shouldn't be a problem. I don't think it's the Jewish people who would be "offended" by this content though. I only mentioned the Jews because the people who would be offended by a reference to Christ have no problem hearing about Jewish tradition at a holiday concert. I'm guessing the same people who would be offended by hearing the phrase "Christ the Savior is born" are the same people who are out Christmas shopping and filling their trees with hundreds of dollars worth of gifts.

It also saddens me when I hear somebody say "Happy Holidays" or "Seasons Greetings". I always reply with "Merry Christmas". Why not? People may not admit it, but everything that happens this time of year is because of Christmas. Santa is at the mall because of Christmas. You get time off work or school because of Christmas. You give and receive gifts because of Christmas. You go to a million parties because of Christmas. The TV is littered with specials because of Christmas. Some radio stations switch to an all Christmas format. You decorate your house because it's Christmas. Grandma bakes Christmas cookies (I have never in my life heard anyone say Grandma bakes holiday cookies). Your dad puts Christmas lights on the house (I have never heard anyone say, "Well, it's time to put up the holiday lights!").

It's Christmas time, Ladies and Gentlemen. It's not the holidays or the holiday season. Call it what it is... The Christmas season. The word CHRIST is in the word Christmas for a reason. It's no coincidence.

There are only 4 days until the blessed day arrives. If you haven't already done so, I would encourage you to get out your Bible and read the REAL and TRUE Christmas story in Luke 2. It is remarkably short and will probably be surprisingly familiar to you. If you think only religious fanatics like me feel this way, think again. Charles Schulz (creator of the beloved Peanuts comics) and Dr. Seuss (creator of The Grinch) even found a way to let everyone know what the true meaning of Christmas is. See exhibits A and B below:

Merry Christmas, everyone. Christ the savior is born!

No comments:

Post a Comment