Thursday, December 26, 2013

The Crossword Puzzle

I meant to post this 5 days ago, but completely forgot.

December 21st was the 100th anniversary of the first crossword puzzle. The first crossword puzzle appeared in the New York World Newspaper on December 21st, 1913. That first puzzle looked markedly different than our puzzles of today, but it makes no difference... I love them!

Crossword puzzles have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. My mom's parents always did the crossword puzzle in the Cincinnati Enquirer. Whoever did the puzzle first would complete the puzzle in pencil, erase all the answers and hand it over to the other. I guess that was the only way to have two people do the same puzzle. My mom always did crossword puzzles too. I remember being interested in them and started doing the easy ones as soon as I was able. As I grew into my teens I started working on puzzles of increasing difficulty. When I met Tami I was thrilled to find out she loves crossword puzzles too. We have been doing crossword puzzles together for our entire married lives.

I find crossword puzzles therapeutic and completely relaxing. I love doing them on lazy Sunday afternoons, on vacation, on long car trips, and yes, even in the restroom. They are portable, require only a pen or pencil, can be done in short or long stints and now can even be done online. The crossword puzzle has come a long way in the last 100 years. I know I will be doing them as long as my brain will function. Thank you to my grandparents, my mom and my wife for sharing in the joys of crossword puzzles with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment