Thursday, December 26, 2013

My Summer Job

I read with great interest this morning an article about a kid from Greensburg, Indiana. (You may recall this is where my grandchildren live). The article is about a young guy named Alex Meyer (no relation). He is a professional baseball pitching prospect in the Minnesota Twins organization who grew up and still lives in Greensburg. He is a very talented pitcher who will probably make his major league debut during this upcoming season. If his career goes as planned he stands to make millions and millions of dollars. However, as you know, life doesn't always go as planned. This kid is one blown elbow or busted shoulder away from losing out on a fortune. Mr. Alex Meyer must be one smart cookie. Why? Because he serves as a substitute teacher in the Greensburg Public School System in the off season. He says he needs something to fall back on in case his baseball career doesn't work out. I say Kudos, Alex!

This got me to thinking. Maybe young Alex is on to something here. Maybe I should become a professional baseball pitcher in the summer. This would give me a career to fall back on just in case this teaching thing doesn't work out. I hear the work is seasonal, but the pay is good. I also heard the traveling is a real drawback.

Here's the link to the article if you're interested. It's fairly short and a light read.

Alex Meyer. Pitcher/Substitute Teacher






No comments:

Post a Comment