Thursday, December 12, 2013

Being a grandparent

I had heard how wonderful it is. I had watched my mom revel in being a Grandparent. I had Grandparents of my own who doted over me. So why is it that with all that preparation, the sheer joy of being a Grandparent completely ambushed me? I mean, I knew I would like it. I knew it would be fun. I knew I would love my Grandchildren. But nothing could prepare me for the pure elation I feel when I'm with my Grandchildren. Nothing. The feeling I get when Sveta yells, "Goppa!" and runs and jumps into my arms is indescribable. The feeling I get when I hold Elliott and gently kiss the top of his soft head is like no other. I believe being a Grandparent is like God giving me a promotion for being a good parent. It's truly the best feeling in the whole world.

Do I spoil my Grandchildren? Of course I do. Every blasted chance I get! (within reason of course. If you step too far over the line, your name may get bumped down a few notches on the "Who to call for a babysitter" list). But spoiling Grandchildren is a Grandparent's duty.

I can't wait to see my Grandchildren on Christmas. After your own children get older, Christmas kind of loses its luster. Having Grandchildren seems to make it all worth while again.

My Grandchildren are a true gift from God and I am grateful for them. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some plans to make. (Plans to spoil my Grandchildren on Christmas that is).




Although I do not approve of the grammar on the photo below, I still like the message it sends. It reminds me of the times Sveta asks for a popsicle and I say yes. Then she asks how many she can have and I tell her she can have as many as she wants. Shhhhhh! Don't tell her Mommy I said that!


1 comment:

  1. I can't believe how old Sveta looks, they are both beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete