Wednesday, March 5, 2014

A teacher's wishes

As a teacher with nearly 25 years experience, I'd love to tell you I have had a positive impact on all my students. The truth of the matter is I haven't. It's not for a lack of trying though. The vast majority of students I teach have emotional problems or are just very needy (not just monetarily). I work hard every day to try and meet the needs of those students, but I am only one man and I can only do so much. Some students, no matter how hard I try, will not and cannot be helped. Lord knows this breaks my heart. Try as I might, some kids are just not receptive to the help I offer. Some teacher friends and I have a saying. It goes something like this, "We can't save 'em all!". Please do not take this as teachers giving up on kids. We don't ever, ever do that. But to help a student, the student must also do some work of their own. Too many times this is a one sided proposition. I'm glad to help any student, but they have to meet me half way. Maybe not even half way... just take a step in my direction. That's all I need. Make a small effort and I will do the rest.

The graphic below doesn't really relate to this topic, but I did find it mildly amusing. I was picked on in school (when you're 4'9 as a freshman, you become an easy target) and some of those tough guys don't have the best of lives today. I don't wish ill will on anyone, but Proverbs says we reap what we we sow. The bullies made their beds and now they have to sleep in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment