Sunday, June 8, 2014

Hard to say goodbye

Teachers spend a lot of time pining for summer. We are always really happy to have a break from the stress and from the students. I've never tried to hide that. However, one thing I don't like about the end of the school year is saying goodbye to my school friends, which in reality is more like my school family. I don't make that statement lightly. The staff at my school is like a big family. We all genuinely care for one another and in some cases we love each other. That's why saying goodbye is so difficult. Most of the time we are saying goodbye for a few months. I will see my friends Wendy, Christina, Michelle, Karen and Pam soon. However, in many instances, goodbye is forever. Last year at this time we lost our friend, Nancy Long, in a very sudden and shocking death. This year I lost my very good friend and teaching partner Louise Gunn to retirement. I've had several teaching partners over the years and I always got along with all of them. However, I never shared a special bond with any of them quite like the one I had with Louise. We only worked together for one year, but I can honestly say it felt like we had worked together forever. Last fall we became friends instantly and quickly learned we had a lot in common. We are both believers in Jesus Christ, we are both Cincinnati west siders, we share ultra-conservative political views and we enjoy the simple things in life (like mowing our lawns), and neither one of us cares about fancy houses, cars or clothing. Almost everything you could name, I have in common with Louise. It is because of all this that it was so difficult to see the school year end. Saying goodbye to Louise was one of the hardest things I've had to do at school in quite a while. Louise is moving on to bigger and better things and we are ALL going to miss her very much. I am happy that she is moving to the next phase of her life, but sad that I won't have her as my partner anymore. She told us she intends to visit next school year and we will hold her to it. Goodbye, Louise. You've left a big hole at St. Bernard Elementary. A hole that will not easily be filled. We wish you only the best. You are a good friend and we will miss you terribly.

Ms. Gunn

2 comments:

  1. Well said and so very true!!!! Louise it was an absolute pleasure to work with you, wish we could have met sooner!!! Enjoy your new endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading this touching and heartfelt post, with tears streaming down my face, I realize my words will not fully convey the feelings that are in my heart. But I will do my best. This has been by far the most caring and "real" staff that I have had the pleasure to work with. Two of my bright spots each day were Michelle and Mick. I knew no matter how frustrated or beaten down I was feeling, these two were always there to listen to my vents. I am a firm believer that God has His reasons for everything. Nothing is left to chance. He put me in the presence of these two very special people for a reason. Here is why I believe He gave me this gift as I continued to doubt our public education system and as I was becoming increasingly saddened as I tried to educate the future citizens of our great country. I needed all of the spiritual support I could get! Mick and Michelle were always there to support me as I voiced my feelings on the lack of respect and the disregard for education in my students. I was truly blessed to have a group of hardworking students in my class, also, but these students were always overshadowed by the others. I always felt terrible about that. The majority of my school day was left to behavior management and discipline.
    Over the years, the term that I have come to loathe is "It's what is best for the children." This is a truly false education cliche that has shown to be a lie. Yes, I said a lie. If we wanted what was best for the children, we would set high expectations and accept nothing less. I believe most teachers try to do this. But the bureaucracy and mandates of our education system have failed miserably in this aspect. Educator's hands are tied. It has become a numbers game: teachers are evaluated on their student's percentage of passage on a test.
    As a parent, I believe we are our children's first and foremost educators. Parents and students are not held to the same standards as educators. This is the plan. I have come to believe that the end game is to take the responsibility out of the parent's hands and the education system will do the rest. Hence, the push to require 3 year-old's to attend preschool. Get them out of their parent's guidance, and push the social agenda as early as possible. Brainwashing? It most certainly is.
    The push for diversity has been around for awhile, but the acceleration of its liberal agenda should have every responsible parent demanding answers. After all, it is our hard-earned tax dollars that are supporting this system. Young people are learning that accepting everything, even if it goes against our own beliefs, is the politically accepted norm of the times. Example: Homosexuality has been around since the beginning times. It was around when I was growing up. But it wasn't pushed on me. I don't judge people, that's not my job. But I value my beliefs and as a believer, I hold strong to those beliefs. Unfortunately, my beliefs are not to be tolerated in a public school setting. I don't push any agenda about what I believe - these are the values I live by. As I watch young people hail and revere homosexuality as if it makes someone special and admirable, I am reminded of the social agenda being forced on our young people, and unfortunately, being accepted without questioning.
    How does all of this relate to my two bright spots each day? I think God knew I just needed people around me who believe. It made my days bearable, sometimes without ever saying a word. Just knowing they were there made all of the difference for me. I can honestly say that this past year was probably the worst, yet the best year of my teaching career!
    The best because I have made some forever friendships that I will cherish. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Mick and Michelle.

    ReplyDelete