Monday, June 23, 2014

The World Cup

I'm not a soccer fan (that's futbol to everybody else in the world). I admit it was fun watching my niece's team win the Ohio state championship a few years ago and I used to enjoy watching my brother play in high school. Other than that, I've never paid too much attention to the sport.

Now, if you're a sports fan at all, you are probably aware that the World Cup tournament is being played in Brazil right now. I confess at least a casual interest in the event. Not so much because I like soccer, but because of the spectacle of the whole thing. Most fans around the world are CRAZED. You think NFL football fans are nuts? They are amateurs compared to soccer fans around the world. I enjoy the sense of patriotism that goes along with watching the U.S. Mens National Team play, but I certainly am not a rabid fan as many others are. I admire the skill these men have in making a soccer ball do things that seem to defy the laws of physics. I admire the speed and agility displayed during these games, uh I mean matches. I marvel at the endurance it must take to run around such a large field for so long. However, I have difficulty watching a game with so few legitimate shots on goal and even fewer goals scored. The worst thing is the display of fake falling and feigned injury when a player gets bumped by an opponent (commonly known as flopping).

But for now I will take it for what it is... much like the Olympics, it's a worldwide competition that happens every four years. It's not the greatest event in sports, but it beats pulling weeds and watching the grass grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment