Monday, January 13, 2014

Filling in the blanks

I read my Bible regularly. Notice I didn't say I read my Bible daily. If I said that, I'd be lying and I don't want to do that. I'm working toward that goal, but haven't quite gotten there yet. I'd also like to tell you I've read every word of the Bible, but that would be a lie too. That's another goal I'm working toward and God willing, I'll get there in the near future.

Anyway, in working toward that second goal, I have employed a strategy I call "filling in the blanks". Essentially I am searching the Bible for books I've never completely read or maybe never read at all. I'm happy to report I'm having difficulty finding passages I've never read before, but admittedly there are some. For example, I recently read the entire book of Revelation. I know I've read bits and pieces of it, but I have never read it in its entirety. I did the same thing with the books of Ecclesiastes and Lamentations in the last few weeks. I am currently reading Song of Solomon and rereading the book of Job. Obviously some books I've read many times over. The Gospels, Paul's epistles and the Pentateuch (i.e. Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy). In the meantime, I will continue filling in the blanks and will soon be able to say I've read the complete canon of God's Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment