Thursday, January 9, 2014

Listen!

We were all young once. I'm sure you all remember older people giving you advice and telling you what to do. I'm sure you also remember thinking those older people were full of hot air and pretty dumb. And I'm guessing you ultimately found out those older people were right more often than not and gave some really sound advice. I admit it. I didn't put much stock in what older people were telling me when I was younger. I thought the world had passed those folks by and I had everything figured out. You all know how that worked out. I quickly learned I had no idea what I was talking about and all those older people got really smart in a hurry.

Now I am one of the older folks and I'm the one trying to impart my knowledge and life experience on younger people. As you may expect, my words usually fall on deaf ears. I guess the youngsters think the world has passed me by and THEY have the world figured out. It's a vicious cycle.

The lesson in all of this (at least for me) is that older folks don't know everything. They've just had more time to make a lot more mistakes and the chance to learn from them. Trust me. I've done a tremendous amount of screwing up in my life. If these kids would just listen, I could help them avoid so much trouble.

For the record, I did notice the grammatical error in the graphic below. There should be an apostrophe after the "s" in the word elders.

No comments:

Post a Comment