Friday, January 3, 2014

Thursdays with Edra


You may not be familiar with a book called Tuesdays with Morrie, but it’s fairly well known to sports fans (although this book is not a sports book). The book’s author is Mitch Albom. Mitch is a sports writer who found out his favorite college professor, Morrie Schwartz, was suffering from ALS, which is also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease. Mitch decided to pay Morrie a visit one Tuesday and after a rekindled friendship, visited him every Tuesday for the next 14 weeks until his death (hence the name, Tuesdays with Morrie). To be honest I never read the book. You may be wondering if I never read the book why I might be mentioning it here. Well, I’m glad you asked…

My mom and Cliff are leaving for Florida today and will not return until April. Their flight from winter always brings a mixed bag of feelings for me. Obviously I’m thrilled my mom and Cliff get to enjoy warm weather while I freeze my sweet bippy off here in Greater Cincinnati, but I’m also sad that I won’t get to see my mom for nearly four months.

In preparation for their inevitable trek south, I have been visiting my mom almost every Thursday for the last few months. I wanted to see her as much as possible knowing it would be a long while before I would be seeing her again. Spending Thursdays with my mom just reminded me of Tuesdays with Morrie. Thursdays with Edra has a nice ring to it, doesn’t it? I will miss my mom and Cliff while they are gone, but I will look forward to my Thursday visits with mom when she returns.

Enjoy the warm sunshine, Mom. I’m really going to miss you and I can’t wait until April (especially Thursdays in April).    

       

No comments:

Post a Comment