Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Less than a car payment

Have you ever heard the expression, "Driving a car until the wheels fall off"? This pretty much sums up my approach to cars. I've never owned a brand new car (and probably never will). I have always bought quality used cars when possible and have purchased a few beaters when that's all my finances would allow. We currently have three cars and they are all in some stage of disrepair. Honestly, money is so tight right now and the economy is showing no signs of improving, that completing all necessary repairs to the cars is just not going to happen.

Tami took her car in for a front end alignment and tire rotation today. She is getting the tires balanced soon and she is in desperate need of new brakes. All of those repairs are going to require a sizable chunk of money, but when you look at the price of buying a different car, those repairs probably total less than a few car payments. I'd rather make the necessary repairs a little at a time than get a new (used) car. Michael's car needs some work and mine does too. Those repairs will have to wait. As long as we are getting from point A to point B safely, that's all that matters. We literally drive these cars until the wheels fall off (or at least until the car costs more to repair than the value of the car itself).

I honestly don't understand how some people are constantly upgrading their cars. It's like they always have a car payment. I can't imagine that. Of course, people who are single are totally different. With only themselves to provide for, having nicer cars is okay for them. For we married folks, we're just happy if the car starts and stops the way it's supposed to. Where some folks have fancy stereos and a lot of luxury features, my cars have old french fries under the seats and coffee stains on the carpet.

I guess fancy cars just aren't that important to me. However, if I ever find myself unexpectedly wealthy, my dream car is a Jaguar. They are fancy and sporty, yet sophisticated. I don't need some pimped out hotrod chick magnet. I don't drive fast and the gas is too expensive as well. Besides the only chick I'm interested in attracting would already be in the passenger seat anyway. By the way, no french fries or coffee allowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment