Saturday, January 4, 2014

My son-in-law

As a parent there are certain things you want for your children. Most important is teaching them to be strong in their faith. There is nothing more important than equipping them to deal with the persecution they will face for being followers of Christ. You also want your children to be responsible, successful, productive members of society. Notice I didn't say I want my children to be happy. It's not the parents' job to make their children happy. If my children are strong in their faith and grow up to be responsible, successful and productive members of society, they'll be happy... and that makes me happy. Don't get me wrong. I WANT my children to be happy in their lives, it's just not my job to make them that way by being "the cool dad" or giving them everything they want. It's important to instill in children a strong work ethic and to show them anything worth having is worth working for. If I hand everything to my children and they did nothing to earn it, I have done them a tremendous disservice.

This brings me to the reason for this post. Another thing you want for your children is for them to find a Godly spouse and to have a wonderful, lifelong marriage. My first child, Jessi has accomplished this. Her husband, Barry Morton, is a Godly man. They have a good marriage and in turn are raising Godly children of their own. How can a parent want anything more for their child? As a parent, seeing your child in a strong, healthy marriage and seeing the fruits of their efforts (wonderful Grandchildren) is all you can really ask for.

Barry is a super guy. He's a great husband and father. He provides for his family and I never have to worry about my daughter or grandchildren in his care. Barry is responsible, caring, generous, kind and a heck of a lot of fun to be around. Honestly, the guy is hilarious! My only regret is not getting to spend enough time with him. And it's for this reason I am posting the joke below. Barry told me this joke a long time ago and I have always liked it. His version involved a cat, but you get the idea.

Here's to you, Barry! Thanks for being a terrific son-in-law!    

No comments:

Post a Comment