Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Beach Reach Progress Report

I'm sure you know Michael is on a mission trip to Panama City Beach, Florida. Beach Reach offers free van rides to intoxicated spring breakers and also offers a free pancake breakfast every morning. Of course the ultimate goal is spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ. While most people understand the mission, there are some who either don't understand it or think it's a futile effort. We've heard things like, "I don't think kids on the beach would want to hear about Jesus". We've also heard the sarcastic comment, "I'm sure kids with a belly full of tequila headed to an unbridled party are going to listen to a message about Jesus". These things have reached Michael's ears and he reports that we all may be surprised at the number of kids who will actually listen and seem genuinely interested in the message. I must admit I was a little surprised myself (although I did not sell the mission short as some others have). Michael said that even when drunk most kids are receptive to the message. Isn't that really all that can be expected? This mission is not supposed to save the soul of every spring breaker in Panama City. It's meant to plant seeds that will hopefully grow into fruit in the future. The mission may be short term, but hopefully the effects will be long term (eternity).

BTW--- Please pray for him. He reports he is battling a sore throat. I'd appreciate you remembering him this week.

I happened upon a story on Fox News that caught my attention. It was entitled,"Top 15 Trashiest Spring Break Spots". Naturally I was curious about this list knowing where Michael is this week. I guess I hoped Panama City Beach was not on the list, but alas it was... it was #8. Hence the reason for Beach Reach. Here's the full list:
1. Las Vegas
2. South Padre Island, Tex.
3. Daytona Beach, Fla.
4. Myrtle Beach, S.C.
5. Orlando, Fla.
6. Lake Havasu, Ariz.
7. Miami, Fla.
8. Panama City Beach, Fla.
9. Key West, Fla.
10. Fort Myers, Fla.
11. Tampa, Fla.
12. Virginia Beach, Va.
13. Scottsdale, Ariz.
14. New Orleans
15. San Diego

Regardless of any negative views of my son's mission, I am immensely proud of him. When I consider the debauchery that occurs at these spring break locations, the unadulterated alcohol consumption, drug use and pre-marital sex, I am thankful he is doing what he's doing. When I consider the alternative, I can lay my head on my pillow at night and not have to worry about what he's doing. I'm not sure the parents of other spring breakers can make the same claim.

You go, Michael!


No comments:

Post a Comment