Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Coming Soon --- Opening Day!


If you're from Cincinnati, you know about the Reds Opening Day. It's an unofficial holiday around here. After a long, difficult winter, we are all ready for spring and Opening Day is the one event that is a sign of better days to come. Opening Day is a mere 6 days away. It's the day the whole town wears red. It's the day a large portion of the population either takes the day off work or at the very least knocks off early. On opening day everybody's a diehard Reds fan even if they never attend a Reds game or follow their progress throughout the season (I liken this to how everyone suddenly becomes Irish on St. Patrick's day). Opening Day is an institution in this town. Everybody is in a good mood knowing the beginning of baseball season is a time when hope springs eternal. Opening Day stirs feelings within Cincinnatians like no other event. Cincinnati is the birthplace of professional baseball (the first team was formed in 1869). We've always laid claim to the special feeling that comes with being that first team. Opening Day belongs to Cincinnati... it's ours, we own it. Opening Day may be a big deal in other cities, but there is no way they can hold a candle to Cincinnati. Opening Day is when I feel alive again. After being "dead" all winter, I feel myself coming out of hibernation and leaving behind that winter funk. Opening Day will always be one of my favorite days of the year. Much like a child feels giddy on Christmas morning, I'm almost embarrassed to admit my childish feelings of glee on Opening Day. Some may even shake their heads and say they wish I'd get worked up about something that REALLY matters. I'm not ashamed. I dearly love baseball and adore my Cincinnati Reds. Monday, April 1st is Opening Day. I can hardly wait!







No comments:

Post a Comment