Friday, February 8, 2013

a GLORIOUS year

To God be the glory! One year ago today, the Lord granted our family the biggest blessing ever. One year ago today the Lord answered the prayers of many friends and loved ones. One year ago today a little girl came home forever. Our God is so good to us!

February 8th, 2012. This is a date that will forever hold a special place in my heart. One year ago today, my granddaughter, Sveta touched down at the Greater Cincinnati International Airport. It was on this date one year ago a little girl got off an airplane, walked into the terminal and changed my life forever. There are no words to describe the blessing and joy this little girl has brought me in the last 365 days. I have experienced feelings that I never knew existed. I remember the feeling of pure euphoria when I first saw her. It had been such a long, grueling adoption process and finally here was this little Russian angel walking into a world she knew nothing about. I remember the tears streaming down everyones' faces as she walked around that airport terminal. It was a night I will never forget. The last year has brought a lot of "firsts". I became a Grandpa for the first time. (Everybody knows I'm proud to be Sveta's Goppa). Sveta celebrated her first birthday as an American. She had her first Easter. She took her first swim in our pool. She celebrated her first real Christmas. There are a thousand other "firsts", but you get the idea. I just can't express the love I feel for this precious little ball of energy. There's so much to be said, but the words just won't come. Imagine that... me, speechless! I guess the best I can do is post a portion of what Jessi wrote today. Here it is...

1 year. 12 months. 52 weeks. 365 days. 8,760 hours. 525,600 minutes.

"In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights, in cups of coffee. In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife. In 525,600 minutes - how do you measure a year in the life?"

How do you measure a year in the life of a sweet little Russian child who was adopted by her family 1 year ago today. I can't measure it. I just can't quantify all that she's learned, been through, experienced. It's too difficult.

So, instead I will rejoice in the love that she's experienced in this year...and I will pray that she will experience even more in the following years.

A year ago today she flew on an airplane halfway around the world with two strangers that she was told were her Mama and Papa. She stayed awake over the entire ocean, and colored on a little white and pink pony that she still occasionally sleeps with. She wore a little sweater dress that won't fit over her head anymore. She was so brave. She is so brave.

Last night Barry had her walk out to the car on her own and told her we were on our way to follow. It was getting dark and when we got outside she was about halfway to the car. She said, "I was a little bit scared, but I was being brave. I didn't even cry." It took me to a year ago. I imagine that she would have said the same thing if I was able to communicate with her at that point.

And now back to me (Goppa).

It has truly been an amazing, wonderful, glorious year. Sveta, my darling, I love you more than you'll ever know!

That was then: Here's Sveta and her Mama moments after landing. 14 hours on a plane obviously takes a toll on a 3 year old.

This is now: Can't you just see the life in her eyes?



No comments:

Post a Comment