Sunday, February 24, 2013

Our First Date

This post will probably cause an eye roll of epic proportions from my lovely wife. She has always pointed out my knack for remembering trivial details, yet giving little or no thought to the more important things in life. This is true and I have no defense against what she says. Nevertheless, I want to recognize another milestone in my personal history. Tami scoffs at these little remembrances of mine (think back to my Valentine post when I said I was more of a romantic than she was).

February 24, 1989 is a date that is forever burned into my memory. It was 24 years ago tonight that Tami and I had our first date. It wasn't a traditional date like most couples probably had. We didn't go out to eat. We didn't go to the movies. In fact, we didn't go anywhere at all. What? How can this be? What kind of cheapskate doesn't take a beautiful woman out on the town for a first date? Well, allow me to explain. Jessi was 4 years old at the time. It wasn't as if Tami was in the habit of getting a babysitter every time she wanted to go out. She was (and still is) a wonderful mother and wasn't fond of taking off and leaving her child. Understanding this ahead of time, I agreed to come to her house for a night of popcorn and watching movies. We watched a Schwarzenegger movie and another called Young Guns. I didn't really care if the movies were awful (which they were). The popcorn was good and the company was even better. I remember everything about that night. I was thrilled to be on a date with this woman. We were having a lot of fun and it felt like we had a lot in common and were hitting it off. However, there is one thing that stands out more than any other. Jessi happened to have the chicken pox and was already in bed when I arrived that evening. Sometime during the movies, Jessi woke up crying. Tami went in and tended to her and at some point carried her out of her bedroom. It was the first time I laid eyes on Jessi and I will never forget it. Covered in chicken pox blisters and crying, she was a beautiful sight. Obviously I didn't interact with her. I was a stranger and she didn't need to deal with me on top of everything else. I also remember watching in amazement as Tami sprung into action the moment her child needed her. I was given an opportunity most men don't get. I got to see my wife being a great mom BEFORE I married her. The rest of the evening went well and there is a funny story or two that I will save for another day. I can tell you this though. When I left that night, my head was swimming. My mind was awash in feelings I couldn't identify. I just had a date with a terrific woman. We had a lot of fun and agreed to a second date. I was thrilled anybody would go on a date with me and actually agree to another. There was also the added emotion of watching Jessi with chicken pox being carried by her mother. I'm not going to say it was love instantly. It wasn't. But I knew this woman was something special and I was looking forward to spending as much time with her as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment