Friday, February 22, 2013

February 22nd

February 22, 1964 was the big day. Today would have been my parents' 49th wedding anniversary. However, there will be no celebration today. My dad passed away in 1990 at the much too young age of 47.

I always have mixed feelings on this day. I'm sad my parents didn't get to celebrate more anniversaries together. I'm also happy that my mom found a wonderful man to marry 13 years ago. Cliff Borges is my step-dad and I couldn't have chosen a greater guy for mom. They both lead a very active lifestyle and have a lot of fun together. I am so thankful for Cliff. 45 is too young for any woman to be a widow and to spend the rest of her years alone.

Anybody know what else happened on February 22nd? February 22nd, 1980 was the Miracle on Ice. The U.S Olympic hockey team defeated the Soviet Union 4-3 in a David and Goliath type scenario. Many people mistakenly think this game won the United States the gold medal. It was actually only the semi-final game. A few days later the U.S. secured the gold medal by defeating Finland.


No comments:

Post a Comment