Thursday, February 21, 2013

Sleet -vs- Freezing Rain

I'm a weather nerd. I am fascinated by hurricanes, tornadoes, thunderstorms and blizzards. The weather channel is one of my favorites. I don't get thrills from seeing mass destruction or people dying. However, I love anything weather related and enjoy the ever changing conditions within God's creation. Our local weather man, Tim Hedrick has a feature on the nightly news called the Thunder Quiz. It's a weather related trivia question that usually involves some obscure fact. I look forward to it every night!

With the current weather conditions, I thought it might be interesting to make the following distinction: Do you know the difference between sleet and freezing rain? Some people think they are synonymous. They're not.

Freezing Rain= Precipitation that lands as liquid and freezes after hitting the ground.


Sleet= Precipitation that forms as ice in the atmosphere and lands on the ground as ice pellets.


No comments:

Post a Comment