Monday, February 25, 2013

I wanna hold your hand!

I wasn't a ladies man back then. I was no Casanova. I was no Don Juan or Rudy Valentino either. To be honest I didn't have much dating experience and I'm sure it was obvious during that first date. If you had been a fly on the wall, you would have seen a guy who was very nervous and had no idea what interest Tami had in guy like me. To say I had no confidence in myself would be an understatement.

However, that first date went way better than expected (see yesterday's post). Here's the funny part. Well, funny for you, embarrassing for me :-) While watching the movie, I thought I'd make an attempt to be suave. I thought I'd try holding Tami's hand. Slowly and discretely I slid my hand across the couch cushion until I came into contact with what I THOUGHT was her hand (you can probably see where this is going). Not actually holding hands, just hands touching side by side. Well, I sat there for a while very happy with myself because she didn't pull away or resist (or so I thought). A short while later she got up to get more popcorn. When she walked away, what I thought was her hand was still in contact with my hand. I looked down to see I hadn't been touching her hand at all. It was the beading that outlined the couch cushions. I thought I was making the first move toward holding her hand when in reality I had been "holding hands" with the couch. Man, did I feel silly! I thought I was well on my way to being a studmuffin, but I was nothing but a big ol' goofball. I'm just glad she didn't know the truth :-) Although I did tell her weeks (or maybe months) later.

Little did I know that night would be the first of many dates and the path to a lifetime of happiness. We've been together 24 years and married for almost 22 of those years. I am a man who is truly, truly blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment