Friday, April 26, 2013

Grill Master Jr. Abby Edition

Grilling is a manly thing to do, right? All that smoke, fire, and charred meat is good fodder for macho conversation, right? Talk of barbecue sauces, marinades, indirect heat and hickory smoking is just for us guys, right? WRONG!

I'm no sexist. Wednesday I gave Abby her first lesson in the fine art of grilling. I showed her how to turn on the propane, how to start and preheat the grill, how to sear the meat (to seal in the juices) before moving it onto low heat for that slow, smoldering journey to grilled deliciousness. I saw no reason why Abby should be excluded from the joy of outdoor cooking. She said she enjoyed it and was happy to learn. She and I had a nice time chatting as I showed her the ropes. One of these days I'll be able to kick back and relax while my kids grill the meat. Some day soon, right? Or maybe they'll have to pry the spatula out of my cold, dead fingers. I'm not sure I can sit idly by and watch somebody else grill. We'll see................

No comments:

Post a Comment