Sunday, April 28, 2013

The world has lost its mind!

The world has LOST ITS MIND! I saw the proof tonight on the news. Our tax dollars are now being spent on something called "Pet Stamps". Much like food stamps for needy families, people can now get food stamps for pets. Regular food stamps do not allow for the purchase of pet food, so this program fills that void. The news story was about a couple who had a new baby in December. The husband lost his job in February and they were having trouble affording food for their dog. This program allowed the couple to apply for assistance in the form of free pet food.

Listen folks, I don't have pets. I think that has been well documented on this blog. I completely understand how people get attached to their pets and actually consider them members of the family. That's all well and good, but when you can no longer afford the pet and have to rely on government assistance (i.e. MY hard-earned money) to keep the pet, it's time to consider alternatives. Perhaps a friend or family member could keep the pet until you are in a better financial position. Perhaps someone in your neighborhood would take the dog. I'm not suggesting these folks take the dog to the pound where it will eventually be put down. I'm just thinking there has to be a way to solve this problem without using government money. I don't own a dog. If I wanted to pay to feed one, I'd get one. When it comes to choosing between feeding a child or feeding a dog, isn't the choice obvious?

In fairness, here's a point of clarification. I think the program is only in the state of New York, so it's not actually MY money being used. But still... somebody in New York is paying for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment