Thursday, April 11, 2013

The beauty of creation

We midwesterners have been waiting a long time for spring. I think we finally got our wish. The grass has begun to turn green and grow. I actually mowed my lawn for the first time a few days ago. That felt good.

Every year I watch for the first sign of spring. For me... I watch the underbrush. The underbrush must sprout and turn green before the trees can. At first the green is very difficult to see. You're not sure if you're actually seeing the beginnings of green coming in or if your eyes are playing a cruel trick on you. But then it happens... BOOM! Green everywhere! We saw the first tinges of green last Sunday. My wife called it perfectly. She said within a week the green would explode. It didn't even take THAT long. As of yesterday the underbrush was fully green. It took four days. From deathly looking brown to fresh, vibrant, living green. God's creation is absolutely and completely amazing.

Last night during the weekly Bible study we host in our home, we studied Genesis 1-3. Genesis 1 is the account of how God created everything in six days. "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth..." You know the rest. It doesn't matter how many times I read it or how well I know the story, I never cease to marvel at God's glorious creation. There is no other explanation for the beauteous splendor of the heavens and the earth other than God's divine and perfect plan. God's creation is all around us. All we need to do is stop and take notice of it. We need to get our eyes off the TV screen, laptop screen, iPad screen, Smartphone screen or whatever, and drink in God's glorious gift to us. I know this all sounds kind of sappy, but the simple yearly process of the earth turning green again stirs strong emotions in me. I thank the Lord for life anew.

This brings to mind one of my favorite hymns:

For the beauty of the earth,
For the glory of the skies;
For the love which from our birth,
Over and around us lies;
Lord of all, to Thee we raise
This, our hymn of grateful praise.


For the wonder of each hour,
Of the day and of the night;
Hill and vale and tree and flow'r,
Sun and moon, and stars of light;
Lord of all, to Thee we raise
This, our hymn of grateful praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment