Saturday, April 27, 2013

My new toy!

I love mowing the lawn. In fact, I love doing all sorts of yard work. I always enjoy being outside and making the yard look nice.  I find mowing the lawn very relaxing and quite therapeutic. To enhance the experience I have ear protecting headphones with a built in radio. Listening to the Reds game while mowing has become one of my favorite activities (at least from a work standpoint).

Over the years I have developed a love/hate relationship with my lawnmower. For the above listed reasons I love my lawnmower, but only when it's functioning properly. If the lawnmower is on the old side and breaks down a lot, I hate it because I spend more time repairing it and nursing it along than I actually spend mowing.

Perhaps I should explain. During the early years of my marriage, we were always strapped for cash. New lawnmowers aren't cheap by any means. Having just purchased a new house (1993) with a small lawn, a lawnmower became an immediate need. Not having the cash to purchase a new mower, I started looking for a used one. As God always does, he chose to fill my need in a way I never saw coming. I didn't have to buy a new or used mower at all. I found a decent looking Craftsman mower that somebody was throwing away. It looked to be in good condition, so I pulled off the scrap heap and took it home. As it turns out, all it needed was a new air filter, spark plug and blade. With minimal work and cost, I had a newly refurbished, used lawnmower. That mower lasted 12 seasons until it conked out in 2005. Coincidentally, 2005 is the year we moved to our current home. This time we had a larger yard. But much like years before we were strapped for cash and I had no functioning lawnmower. Once again the need was immediate. This time the Lord didn't send me a mower off the trash pile. He provided one through my brother-in-law, Dale. He had a very nice Troy-Bilt, self propelled mower he wasn't using.  He said I could borrow it for "a while" until I could get one of my own. Over time Dale decided he wouldn't really use the mower any more and told me to just keep it. What an amazingly kind gesture. Again, God provided me a mower and I didn't spend a cent.

Now it's 2013 and the wonderful mower Dale graciously gave me is on the fritz (see the above reference to spending more time repairing than mowing). The need for a lawnmower has presented itself front and center for the third time in my life. At this point Tami and I are a little better off financially, but we don't have what you would call disposable income either. Two nights ago Tami said she had a proposition for me. She handed me the ads from the newspaper and said, "Pick out a new mower. I'm working now, so we can afford a new one". This was music to my ears! I have never in my life owned a new lawnmower. As I always do with major purchases, I researched the daylights out of lawnmowers that suited my price range and needs. After an exhaustive amount of research, comparative shopping and reading reviews, I made my choice. Last night I went and purchased a brand new mower. It's a Husqvarna, self-propelled, beast of a machine. It is BEE-YOO-TEE-FUL! It was easy to assemble and after putting oil and gas in, it started right up with a glorious roar. I didn't have time to give it a test run, but I can already tell this thing is going to be a joy to operate. Can't wait to try it out very soon!

The Lord has continued to bless me in so many ways. I know I'm not supposed to put my value in possessions (my treasure is stored in Heaven), but I am grateful God has provided me the means to mow my lawn in style. I guess I can't help being a little giddy.

Here I am with my new toy...


Notice the sun rays shining down in this photo... Just sayin'!


No comments:

Post a Comment