Friday, April 19, 2013

Snip Snip and the Reds

I debated whether I should post this story or not. I have touted this blog as family friendly and I am true to that pledge. The details of this story do get a little dicey, but I think I can keep it Rated G.

In the summer of 1999 I had my vasectomy. For various reasons there were complications with this usually simple procedure. Due to these complications, the procedure was not a success. And because of this, I had to have the procedure done a second time. This time the doctor had to put me in the hospital, knock me out and perform minor surgery. The nature of this surgery (even though it was called "minor"), caused me to have a much longer and more difficult recovery. What does this delicate matter have to do with the Reds? Well, I'll tell you...

Shortly before the first procedure (the one that failed), I accepted free Reds tickets from my neighbor. As was always the case, I would take Michael to the game. Under normal circumstances I would have fully recovered in plenty of time to attend the game. However, as you already know, my circumstances were far from normal. The game was scheduled for only 3 days after the surgery (the successful second  procedure). Michael had been excited for several weeks about the game and I was determined to take him no matter what. As luck would have it, I was in bad shape the day of the game. I had been icing the area that needed icing (I think you get my drift) for days, but things were not improving. Also as luck would have it, the temperature on game day was over 100 degrees. I'm not just saying figuratively it was hot. I'm saying the official temperature in Cincinnati that day topped 100. It was H-O-T hot! Not wanting to disappoint my son, I decided to tough it out and take him to the game despite my "condition". I can laugh about it now, and you can too. I packed Michael into the car and I drove to the stadium with a bag of ice stuffed down the front of my shorts. Keep in mind Michael was only five years old and he had no idea anything was wrong. I parked the car at the old Western and Southern garage and walked across the bridge to the stadium. It's probably only about half a mile, but the way I was feeling and in that heat, I may as well have been trying to cross the Sahara Desert. After much effort and pain, we made it to our seats. By now, the bag of ice that had been strategically stuffed, was nothing more than a bag of lukewarm water. Making sure Michael was well supplied with a sno-cone, Coke and snacks, we watched an inning and a half of the game. When the Reds came to bat in the bottom of the second inning, Michael declared he'd had enough and was ready to go home. What he was actually saying was, "I'm finished with my sno-cone and snacks. It's time to leave". After a little bit of coaxing and possibly another sno-cone, we made it through the 4th inning. I'd pushed Michael as far as I could and he was ready to go. Honestly, by that point, my warm ice bag and I were ready to go home too.

As uncomfortable as I was and after the pain I had endured, it was all worth it. I wouldn't change a thing. We all make sacrifices for our kids and this was a biggie! How many guys can claim they went to a Reds game on a 100 degree day with ice in their shorts? Proudly... I can! And hey, after getting home and reloading my bag with fresh ice, I was still able to watch the end of the game on TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment