Thursday, February 6, 2014

A Lack of Common Courtesy

Tami was watching the post-debate wrap up last night. She told me about something that just caused me to shake my head.

After the debate, Ken Ham asked Bill Nye for his autograph. I don't know exactly what Mr. Nye wrote, but it was something like this: "Dear Ken, I am still skeptical. Bill Nye". That sounds reasonable and although I disagree with Mr. Nye's opinion, he is still entitled to it. In return, Ken Ham autographed a small paperback book on Creationism and signed it something like this, "Dear Bill, maybe this will help with your skepticism. Ken Ham" and attempted to hand it to Mr. Nye. Instead of graciously accepting the offering, Bill Nye said, "That book won't fit in my luggage. Mail it to me."

What a RUDE gesture. Even if Bill Nye is vehemently opposed to every word in that book (and obviously he is), he should have taken the book. Even dropping it in the trash can in the parking lot would have been better than refusing to accept it. Common courtesy and manners dictates a person accepts a gift even if they despise it. I thought people with progressive points of view (Liberals) were supposed to be open minded (at least that's what they claim). Some even call themselves "Free Thinkers". I don't mean to say Mr. Nye represents all progressives or liberals, but it would certainly appear he is very much a closed minded person. An open minded person would have taken the book, read it (or at least perused it) and formed an opinion about its contents. Clearly Mr. Nye had no intention of being open to Ken Ham's position. Open minded? FAR from it!

I know this is a strong statement, but unfortunately this incident cheapens the debate for me. Was Bill Nye at the Creation Museum to have a healthy, spirited debate? Was he there to hear his opponent's viewpoint and give it intellectual consideration? Or was he there to try and make Ken Ham look like some sort of kook (and to collect his fee for speaking)?

After further review it seems Mr. Nye's rejection of Ken Ham's gift indicates the latter. Maybe Bill Nye heard something that made him uncomfortable or something that shot holes in his case. Could God be working on Bill Nye? Sure. Or maybe he's just plain rude.    

No comments:

Post a Comment